Thursday, July 3, 2008

How rude!

LAST week, a burglar broke into my home. Fortunately, my scream sent him fleeing. I called the police station to report what had happened.

Two policemen arrived about 15 minutes later. I informed them that the burglar had taken my bunch of keys. They looked around and then asked me to go to the police station to file a report.

Since I live alone, I reminded them that the burglar stole my bunch of keys and that he could return at any time.

The policeman called his superior and, after a short conversation, handed me the phone and asked me to talk to his superior.

His superior rudely informed me that the policemen couldn’t wait at my house till daybreak and told me to get a new padlock, and then go to the police station. Where on earth could I find a new padlock at 3am?

I’ve heard tales of unhelpful, rude and inefficient policemen. What happened that morning proved that there is truth in all those tales.

It’s little wonder that the PDRM has such a bad reputation. They’re insensitive and unhelpful. Aren’t they trained to handle such situations?

MAZLIZA OTHMAN,

Seri Kembangan.

Letter sent to the Star and published here.

Well, this is only one side to the story and the cops involved should be given an opportunity to giuve theirs. However, i believe that many reading this letter would not be surprised. I for one have encountered many a rude cop. When they see me in simple clothes, they will not show any respect at all. It doesn't help that people say that i look like a student. When i was a practising lawyer, they would be all polite and friendly when they see me dressed up in court - but i see the very same fellas being rude to the poor and uneducated who had the misfortune of having to appear in court.

I could go on and on with stories of rude cops. I know a lot of people who have encountered rude cops. So much so that when one actually meets a polite cop, it is such a huge and pleasant surprise and it really makes one's day! But that's quite sad isn't it?

Malaysia boleh!

No comments: